Home | Blog
Ted Trueblood Chapter
Conserving, protecting, and restoring Southwest Idaho's coldwater fisheries and their watersheds.

Message Board

Fish the Boise River

Messages posted to thread:

Andy                  07-Oct-08  
Andy                  11-Oct-08  
                      19-Oct-08  
chris                 20-Oct-08  
Markus Schlegel       22-Oct-08  
Andy                  24-Oct-08  
Richard Jones         26-Oct-08  
chris jones           27-Oct-08  
Andy                  26-Nov-08  
                      24-Mar-09  
                      11-Jul-10  

Subject: Fish the Boise River
Email:
Date: 07-Oct-08

We agreed at our meeting last week that as a board we should try to fish the Boise River in town this month at least a couple times each and then report our results.

I thought a message thread would be a good way to chronicle our activity. I'll post something tomorrow to get things started.

Subject: RE: Fish the Boise River
Email:
Date: 11-Oct-08

Finally getting back to this.

I fished last Sunday, late afternoon near the Boise City Canal Diversion, the one near the Warm Springs Mesa.

With the Barry Ross-patented two renegade set up I was able to raise and bring in a couple of really small wild rainbows in the tailrace downstream of the weir. Then I moved upstream and landed two rainbow in the 11"-13" range. I saw both feeding and was able to get to them with a cast.

The river was too high to wade across both upstream and downstream of the weir. It was about 700 cfs at Glenwood on Sunday. The flows have now dropped to the point where it should be possible to wade the entire river.

Email:
Date: 19-Oct-08

I went back to the same location and with the flows at 240 cfs it's possible to wade across the river. I landed six rainbow trout. Four were very small 4-5 inches, definitely wild. Water clarity was good.

Email:
Date: 20-Oct-08

Sunday I fished the stretch of river behind the golf course and upstream of the foot bridge. I caught 3 rainbow trout, 4 to 5 inches long. I also caught one 5 inch white fish. The rainbow trout were very healthy and definitely wild fish. The river was very clear,

Email: schlegels_4@msn.com
Date: 22-Oct-08

I fished the reach from the stadium to about a quarter mile past friendship bridge this past week and caught a handful of 6" rainbows that were in great shape. I also hooked and played, but did not land a very respectable brown on a streamer and 3x that broke me off after a vicious take and short down stream burst. I had a similar hook up, shorter than the first in the next run upstream of the bridge.

I also fished in Eagle this weekend from eagle road upstream about a mile and a half and landed several small 6" browns and half a dozen or so rainbows from 6" to 14". Of the rainbow one was what I would assume was a hatchery fish the rest appear to be wild, both in appearance, strength and duration of fight. The smaller fish under 10" were definately wild fish.

Oh yes and (1) 6" white fish and (1) 5" dace.

Email:
Date: 24-Oct-08

Thursday afternoon Chris and I fished the section along where we planted the cottonwood trees on the south bank upstream of the Parkcenter Bridge that is under construction.

Even before we made it to the river I hooked and lost one fish in Loggers Creek and landed another 8" rainbow. When we got to the river I worked the riffle upstream of the trees and landed three more rainbow, 10, 11 and 13 inches. We fished for about 90 minutes. This is the same section where I spent many fall days in 1989 where I really came to learn the sport. I want to get back there and get to the riffle that lies immediately downstream where the bridge span will go.

Email: richard6122@peoplepc.com
Date: 26-Oct-08

I fished the area by the fairgrounds.

I hooked nine fish. Four rainbows, 8-12". Two browns, 8 & 10". One 21 inch sucker - snagged it while streamer fishing. I did not see the two fished the slipped off the barbless hook.

Email:
Date: 27-Oct-08

I fished with Andy Thursday the 23rd. We fished the section upstream of the trees we planted. I caught one 11 inch white fish.

Email:
Date: 26-Nov-08

It's been a month since the last report and two weeks since I last fished. I got out on Veterans Day with Paul Woods, Dan Steckel and Peter Anderson. Connor Woods was in the back pack and watched. The blog has a photo of a nice rainbow that Peter caught. We were at the same area as Chris and I in October. Actually a BWO hatch from noon to 2:00 p.m. and the other guys tied into some fish. I had four hits and misses and finally brought in one small wild rainbow.

A couple of Sundays prior I was able to get Gwen out to the river and we fished for about 1/2 hour and then she played in the water. Neoprene waders can be comfortable for a kid.

Email:
Date: 24-Mar-09

Any new reports?

Email:
Date: 11-Jul-10

http://google.com

Reply to Thread

We will only accept messages with the valid keycode currently displayed to the right of this message.
Keycode:
Subject:  
Email:    

Enter message below (press return after each line)