Home | Blog
Ted Trueblood Chapter
Conserving, protecting, and restoring Southwest Idaho's coldwater fisheries and their watersheds.

Message Board

March 14, 2012 Mtg

Messages posted to thread:

30-Jan-12  
                      02-Feb-12  
Dave Epis             12-Mar-12  
John Ellsworth        13-Mar-12  
John Ellsworth        15-Mar-12  

Subject: March 14, 2012 Mtg
Email:
Date: 30-Jan-12

The Ted Trueblood Chapter of Trout Unlimited March 14 membership meeting will feature three exciting programs!

We start at 6:00 pm with a demonstration of tying “Kebari”, or Japanese Tenkara flies. These traditional flies are beautiful in their simplicity and remarkable in their allure to mountain stream trout.

At 6:45 Mr. Daniel Galhardo, founder of Tenkara USA (tenkarausa.com), will speak about the tradition, art, and techniques of Tenkara fly-fishing. Daniel has almost single-handedly introduced this centuries-old fly-fishing tradition (using only rod, line, and fly) to the western world! An accomplished practitioner and passionate advocate for this simplified approach to fly-fishing, Galhardo’s beautifully illustrated presentation fully respects the western fly-fishing traditions. Galhardo’s appearance is graciously supported by Idaho Angler.

At 7:30, John Ellsworth, TU Idaho Council VP, will speak on “Saving the Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout!”. The native Yellowstone cutthroat trout population in Yellowstone Lake and its ecosystem is now reduced to less than 10% of its historic population primarily due to depredation by illegally introduced lake trout! Telemetry tagging and tracking of lake trout in Yellowstone Lake, begun in summer 2011 and continuing for several years, is expensive but necessary to determine lake trout movements (for gill and trap netting) and spawning beds’ locations (for destroying the eggs). Donation options will be presented. More info at www.idahotrout.org

Subject: RE: March 14, 2012 Mtg
Email:
Date: 02-Feb-12

Here is a revised March 14 schedule as follows:

6:00 kebari fly tying demo

6:30 chapter meeting with elections, etc etc

7:00 Galhardo

7:45 Ellsworth

8:30 raffle drawing etc

Thanks.

JOHN C. ELLSWORTH

Email: idahoflyfisherman@msn.com
Date: 12-Mar-12

Where is the March 14 meeting going to be held?

Email:
Date: 13-Mar-12

The March 14 meeting is at the regular venue, the MK Nature Center, 600 South Walnut Street Boise, ID 83712. It promises to be an outstanding and diverse program!

John Ellsworth, VP Idaho Council of TU

Email:
Date: 15-Mar-12

March 15: I want to express my appreciation to everyone who attended last night's Ted Trueblood Chapter meeting! Daniel Galhardo, TenkaraUSA told me he thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone, tying flies, and giving his presentation on Tenkara fly fishing. He particularly enjoyed our venue, the MK Nature Center and all it has to offer in environmental and conservation education. I'd also like to report that the response to the campaign to Save the Yellowstone Cutthroats garnered donations totaling ... are you ready for this? ... $1,141.00! Plus, donations have continued to come in through our online donation option (PayPal or credit card) at www.idahotrout.org. I extend my personal thanks and gratitude to everyone who was able to contribute their hard-earned cash in this challenging economy to help with one of the critical conservation causes of our time.

Oh, by the way, Daniel Galhardo was able to spend some quality time Tenkara fly fishing on the Owyhee river today with two of our members. Each angler caught at least five or six nice browns, and of course Daniel landed the largest at almost 24" and he hooked an even larger one (we presume) while demonstrating how to sink a Kebari deep in the river!

Thanks again to everyone for supporting the Ted Trueblood TU Chapter and our programs, and I look forward to "seeing you on the river!".

John Ellsworth, Ted Trueblood chapter Board member, VP Idaho Council of Trout Unlimited

Reply to Thread

We will only accept messages with the valid keycode currently displayed to the right of this message.
Keycode:
Subject:  
Email:    

Enter message below (press return after each line)